8/30/2008

YEARS GONE BY...


I remember the day Zen was born as if it were yesterday...but it wasn't yesterday...it was eight years ago this past Tuesday!!!! I can't believe it. I remember how I couldn't believe it when we celebrated her first birthday or her fifth and now she's eight! All mothers feel this and I dont know why I feel so surprised to feel the same mix of emotions. I'm happy because she is healthy, smart, funny, beautiful, talented, and the list goes on ...but I also a little twinge of terror mixed in with a touch of sadness. Horror because I know that things will probably only get more attitudinal from this point on and sad because she's not a baby anymore and I cant take her opinion for granted the way I did when she was two and I dressed her up the way I saw fit. I'm also proud that she tends to be more of a leader than a follower...this is very important to me, case in point, she wanted an MP3 player for her birthday, so we got it for her...we all wondered what she would want to load on it...my mom suggested Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, Chris Brown, Jordin Sparks...the popular bubble gum cast of this era. While I knew she was interested in them, I wasnt sure whether she was interested enough to include them on her list...when I finally asked her she said, "Mommy, no, I'm not all into them like that...that's not real music, its ok to watch but, who wants to listen to that all day?" No offense to anyone who's "all into them like that" but she really made me proud! When I continued the inquiry she requested: Sergio Mendes, India Aire, Corinne Bailey Rae, John Legend, Queen, ABBA, Norah Jones and Carole King!!! BOOM BABY! That's what I'm talkin' about! Its amazing how much influence you can have in eight years! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZENZELE!




No comments: