6/24/2008

SINK OR SWIM

The theme for this week friends is SINK or SWIM…both literally and figuratively… Written in tandem with remnants of notions conjured by an interview on npr (Monday) in remembrance of Comedian George Carlin who died on Sunday, June 22, 2008

SWIM CLASS has started! Yesterday was the first day for Tafi and Zen to take actual swimming classes! I had enrolled Zen once before when she was about two and SHE HATED IT! Her dad took her to one class and she never went back. Things have definitely changed…now she’s practically a mermaid…one that needs to brush up on technique…but a mermaid nonetheless, especially when compared to her majesty Lady Tafara who on the first day made it clear to her instructor that there was to be no face wetting involved in her lesson…At any rate, we made it through yesterday swimmingly! The swim instructor however, warned that hey both needed to work on getting deeper into the water and that today she was being nice, but that things would get serious tomorrow and that I might want to invest in goggles for Tafara if water in her eyes was her issue. So of course, like a good mother I sojourned to WALMART at 11:30PM after working MY NEW AND IMPROVED MODIFIED (THOUGH TEMPORARY) SCHEDULE and visiting a dear friend in the hospital; to get the GOGGLES!!!

After our usual morning hustle (too painful for details) we get to the pool, Tafi gets her goggles, enters the pool, begins her lesson, even gets dunked by the teacher…recovers gracefully…things are going so well that I take my eyes off of her for one minute to begin applying my sunblock… next thing I know my daughter, is dripping (not sure if tears or chlorine) all over me, crying “she told me to get out of the pool…sob…sob...and go home”… sob …sob…

IM THINKIN’ : Oh boy, here we go…GLUB, GLUB, GLUB…I’m sinking…

Needless to say I spent the next 15 min engaged in warfare! Trying to convince the QUEEN of the-most-stubborn-children-in-AMERICA: 1.That she needed to get back into the pool & 2.That there was nothing to be afraid of…I lost the first part of the battle and after the slight mention of a potential bribe…I won’t know about the latter until tomorrow (I’ll keep ya posted).

After talking to my friend last night, Tafara & the newest Mrs. Fuller today about fear of death, sinking/getting your face wet, and entrepreneurship (respectively)…I have decided to yet again take “the plunge” into entrepreneurship…I’m not quite sure which of my 50 million ventures I plan to pursue just yet, but I am (starting tonight) going to actively pursue SOMETHING…we get one life (at a time) and it is foolish to spend most of it CONSUMED by fear…WE MUST COMMITT TO SINK OR SWIM

2 comments:

Pamela Fuller said...

Very excited about your new endeavor and looking forward to being a part of it. I'm glad my workday musings and obvious yearning for a distraction helped you come to this decision.

Anonymous said...

YES! You know, your "idea" list is a goldmine. Pick one and think about it constantly and DO IT! How fun to do something you love to do!
Of course, I keep thinking the same thing.....
lisa